Sunday 5 May 2013

A look, a touch and a smile

My dad has started dating someone- this the the first relationship he's had in almost 15 years. I met them both for coffee this morning in a cute little cafe a few street from my apartment. I managed to drop my phone in the sink and they were running late but I had no idea. After 10 minutes of waiting while savouring a peppermint tea (searved in a beautiful vintage silver teapot with a delicate cup and saucer) I had to take a second glance at a couple who had jut walked through the door. I didn't recognise my dad; he looked like a different person- same face, same hair, same rugby shirt I bought him last Christmas but something else was completely alien.

It wasn't until I'd almost finished my tea that I worked it out- love. As he looked at her, smiled and gently patted her hand you could see how deeply he cares for this woman. Whether it's meant to last a lifetime or a few months, I don't think it matters too much, the important thing to me is that you can still find love (even at 70) and the kind of love that is obvious from a simple smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment