Friday 10 May 2013

Orange segments

I have childhood memories of being given orange segments as a child- huge, crudely cut wedges that at least a few kids would try to stuff in their mouth to create an orange skin grin. It was enough to put me off oranges for 10 years. I think Charlie may have had a similar experience as we both tended to avoid oranges until a few weeks ago.

After finding the sweetest, juiciest oranges one Sunday at an organic food fair I went hone and put together a simple fruit salad they way my parents had taught me. As Charlie had his first bite of a properly segmented orange he realised what he'd always hated about oranges- the pith. Today- miserable, cold and with a pounding headache I asked what would help: 'Painkillers and segmented orange'. It's amazing that a little effort and an everyday fruit can be a simple way to say 'I love you'.

No comments:

Post a Comment